Sunday, May 22, 2011

Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin; but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!

Yesterday the group and I went to Cannes. The city was fairly similar to all the other cities that I've been to, lots of old buildings and a ton of art to look at. There was one huge difference though, the Cannes Film Festival was and is still going on until tomorrow and there was a lot of commotion from that. I was able to see the red carpet and the private beaches where all the celebrities stay. It was lots of fun. A couple of the students from my group actually saw Ryan Gosling from afar. I don't know if I believe them, but mostly I think that I am just jealous that I didn't get to see him. I had thought before I got to France that it would be funny if I got to see Ryan Gosling, since Jason is told that he resembles him. Get a nice picture of my sweet boyfriend's celebrity look-a-like.. Ticked I missed that opportunity!! What a bummer. The best part of the day was when we were all gathering to head back to the train station, that's right I rode a train, I came across probably the strangest thing I have ever seen..

There was a man who had painted his face white and dressed in 18th century clothing, a nice baby blue color. He was also wearing a large white wig a all curled up on the edges and pulled back in a pony tail. I found just his appearance to be absolutely outrageous, but the fun doesn't end there. Perched a top his outstretched arms were two very healthy cats. Yes, real living, moving, purring kittens. He would move is arms away from each other and back in again to reunite the creatures. They would lick one another and pat at each other. A couple of playful little felines. And if that isn't strange enough they're love and affection for one another was backed by the romantic and wonderful "My Heart Will Go On". No words just the music. It was so magical.

Of course I pull out my camera to get this miraculous exhibition on film. To my dismay the weirdo with the white face starts yelling at me. "Madame! Madame!" and he starts point to this ratty old treasure chest that has euros taped to the front of it. I'm thinking yeah right am I paying you for taking one picture of your insane, ludicrous, money-making tactic. Not a chance Louis!! So I turn to walk away and he keeps yelling "MADAME! MADAME!" I decided that maybe I can spare a little extra change. I grabbed the first coin I could so I could bust out of there. As I am dropping my 2 EUROS into his stupid box he whispers, "Respect the cats. Respect the cats. They are working." Then he proceeds to to hold out his arms and make me pet the kittens. I gave a little pat to each and walked away. So I basically paid 3 dollars to get flees and mites and rabies. Awesome. It was a most hilarious and wonderful experience!
Red carpet area.

Private beaches where after parties take place for the rich and famous.

I loved that they used quilts as the table clothes. So cozy and inviting.

The man who made it all possible.
I miss you. I love you.
Meow.

1 comment:

  1. me and adam died at that man and the story. literal death. what a crook.

    ReplyDelete